Vanilla MasterCard® Terms and Conditions
The following are the Terms and Conditions that govern the cardholder’s (“you” or “your”) use of the Gift Card (“Gift Card”). Please read them carefully and keep them for future reference.
1. SUMMARY OF TRANSACTION FEES
Foreign Exchange Fee: A foreign exchange rate of 3% will be charged for transactions made in any currency other than Pounds Sterling. A Gambling Fee for all transactions associated with gambling a 3% fee will be applied. Please be sure to register your card at www.myvanillagiftcard.com.
2. YOUR GIFT CARD
This Vanilla Gift Prepaid MasterCard® Card is issued by PrePay Technologies Ltd pursuant to license by MasterCard International Incorporated. This card is an electronic money product. PrePay Technologies Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the issuance of electronic money (FRN 900010). Your Gift Card can be used to make purchases from any merchant that accepts MasterCard. You cannot withdraw cash at ATMs or get cash-backs at retailers with your Gift Card. The Gift Card is not a credit card, charge card or debit card and no interest will accrue on the balance loaded on the Gift Card. Your Gift Card cannot be reloaded once your balance reaches zero. The Gift Card is like cash, if you lose the Card or it is stolen it is like losing cash. Your rights and obligations relating to the use of this Card are subject to this Agreement between you and us; you have no rights against PrePay Technologies Ltd or MasterCard International Incorporated or their respective affiliates. The e-money associated with this Card is provided to you by us, and will be denominated in Pounds Sterling. You may only purchase five Gift Cards and not more than a total value of £250 at any one time. Please keep your receipt as proof of purchase. These Terms and Conditions are written and available in English and we undertake to communicate with you in English regarding any aspect of your Card.
3. HOW TO USE YOUR GIFT CARD
You should sign your name in ink on the back of your Gift Card immediately to accept the Terms and Conditions. The Gift Card will then be ready for use. We recommend that you register your Gift Card and your details at www.myvanillagiftcard.com so that you can report the card if it is lost or stolen and have it blocked. If you wish to use your Gift Card for purchasing online, over the phone or by mail order you will need to register your details. You will not receive a PIN number for your Gift Card and as such will not be able to use your Gift Card in some countries abroad where a PIN is required to authorise transactions.
Your Gift Card may only be used up to the value of funds loaded on it. We may refuse to permit a transaction if:
- we suspect you are in breach of this agreement; or
- we suspect fraudulent or illegal activity is taking place; or
- if you attempt to spend more than the funds loaded on your Gift Card
If the amount of value available is not sufficient to complete the transaction, the transaction will be declined. When using the Gift Card at some merchants please keep in mind that the merchant may require you to have an available balance greater than the value of the transaction you wish to make. You will only be charged for the actual and final value of the Transaction you make. For example:
- Hotels and rental cars - As merchants may not be able to accurately predict how much your final bill will be, they may usually request an authorisation for funds greater than your final bill.
- Restaurants - You will need to have an available balance equivalent to the total cost of the meal plus 20%. This is to accommodate any service charge that could be added to your bill.
- Internet merchants - Certain Internet merchant sites will, on registration or at checkout stage, send a request for payment authorisation to verify if funds are available; this will temporarily impact your balance. Also please bear in mind that many sites won’t deduct payment until goods are dispatched so please be aware of these variances when checking your balance and ensure that funds are always available to cover your purchases. Your Gift Card should not be used as a form of identification. We will decline any authorisation requests from merchants using your Gift Card for identification purposes.
- Offline purchases – If a merchant cannot authorise your transaction online the transaction will be declined. Examples include on-board purchases on ferries, trains and planes.
Your Gift Card cannot be used at self service petrol pumps. You can use your Gift Card to pay by taking it to the cashier.
You can check your balance and transaction history for free by visiting www.myvanillagiftcard.com and registering your Gift Card and details. You can also check your balance for free by calling 0333 600 22 44 and selecting the Balance Enquiry option.
4. CARD EXPIRY
Your Gift Card will be valid for 12 months after the date of purchase. You can request a refund of any remaining available balance subject to the provisions set out in paragraph 6.
The Valid Thru date printed on the front of your Gift Card is for security purposes only and does not affect your right to spend the available balance on your Gift Card. In the unlikely event that your card carries a Valid Thru date which expires earlier than 12 months from the date of purchase of your card, please contact Customer Services.
5. CANCELLATION OF YOUR GIFT CARD
The purchaser of the Gift Card has 14 days from date of purchase to cancel without incurring any penalty or charge. Only the purchaser of the Gift Card has the right to cancel. On request we will cancel the Gift Card and reimburse any remaining balance to the purchaser no later than 5 business days from our obtaining any related authorisation and or validation of clearance deemed necessary. You must return the Gift Card (cut in half through the magnetic strip) together with proof of purchase of the Gift Card to Vanilla Gift Card PO Box 3883 Swindon, SN3 9EA. Any refund made will be by bank transfer to a UK nominated bank account or by cheque. There is no facility for cash refunds. Please note that the fee you paid to purchase the Gift Card is non-refundable.
6. REDEMPTION OF YOUR GIFT CARD
You may redeem the value on the Gift Card subject to the following terms:
For Cards purchased on or before 29 April 2011
For Cards purchased on or after 30 April 2011
You may redeem the value on the Gift Card at any time, prior to its expiry (subject to a minimum value of £6.50), by contacting Customer Services at the address set out in the “Customer Services” paragraph. A redemption charge of £4.95 will be deducted from your remaining balance to cover our costs in redeeming this value. Please note that you will be required to return your Gift Card to us (cut in half through the magnetic strip) together with proof of purchase of the Gift Card. We will redeem the value on your Gift Card by bank transfer to a UK nominated bank account or by issuing a cheque no later than 5 business days from our obtaining any verification as may be required.
You may redeem the value on the Gift Card within six years from the date that your Gift Card expired, by contacting Customer Services in writing at: Vanilla Gift Card PO Box 3883 Swindon, SN3 9EA. A redemption charge of £4.95 will be deducted from your remaining balance to cover our costs in redeeming this value at the following times:
(i) before the expiry date of your card or replacement card;
(ii) before you or we terminate this agreement prior to the card expiry date.
(iii) more than 12 months after (a) your card or replacement card expires, or (b) this agreement is terminated, (as applicable). You will be reminded of this fee before redemption.
You will be reminded of this fee before redemption. Please note that if your balance is £4.95 or less and you want to redeem in the circumstances listed above, the fee will equal your balance which will be reduced to zero.
You may redeem funds subject to the provisions described above as long as we believe you have not acted fraudulently; and we are not prohibited from doing so by any applicable law, regulation, court order or instruction or guidance of a competent regulatory authority or agency.
Please note that you will be required to return your Gift Card to us (cut in half through the magnetic strip) together with proof of purchase of the Gift Card. We will redeem the value on your Gift Card by bank transfer to a UK nominated bank account or by issuing a cheque no later than 5 business days from our obtaining any verification as may be required.
The Gift Card may only be used by the purchaser or any person to whom they transfer their rights (excluding cancellation rights which remain with the purchaser) under these Terms and Conditions. The user must sign the Gift Card and no other transfer is permitted under these conditions.
8. LOST OR STOLEN GIFT CARDS
You must register your Gift Card at www.myvanillagiftcard.com when you receive it to be able to report it as lost or stolen. Please make a note of the 16 digit number on the front of your Gift Card and keep this in a safe place. If you do not register your Gift Card no refund of value on the Gift Card will be possible in case it is lost or stolen. If you lose your Gift Card please log into your account at www.myvanillagiftcard.com where you can block the Gift Card from further use and request a refund of the remaining value on the Gift Card. In the event that you notify us in accordance with this paragraph 8 that your Card has been lost or stolen you will be liable for a maximum of £50 of any loss that takes place prior to you contacting Customer Services. We may contact you to verify your identity before making any refund. Such refund will be made by bank transfer or cheque. In accordance with paragraph 6, we may charge a redemption fee of £4.95, which we will deduct from your balance. In the event that we have reason to believe you have acted fraudulently or you have acted with gross negligence or intentionally in failing to notify us of the lost or stolen Card then you shall be liable for all losses.
- Gift Card purchase fee £2.45, £2.95 or £3.95 depending on denomination of Gift Card.
- A foreign exchange rate of 3% will be charged for transactions made in any currency other than Pounds Sterling.
- For all transactions associated with gambling a 3% fee will be applied. If you make a transaction in a currency other than Pounds Sterling then the amount deducted from your Gift Card will be converted to Pounds Sterling on the day we receive details of the relevant transaction. We will use an exchange rate set by MasterCard®. Exchange rates can fluctuate and there may be change between the time a transaction is made and the time it is deducted from your Gift Card.
- Redemption fee (if applicable) £4.95.
If you have any complaints about your Gift Card you must notify us immediately in writing at: Vanilla Gift Card PO Box 3883, Swindon, SN3 9EA or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All complaints will be subject to our Complaints Procedure. We will provide you with a copy of our Complaints Procedure upon request and, if we receive a complaint from you, a copy of our Complaints Procedure will automatically be posted to you. If we fail to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR; telephone 0333 600 22 44). Details of the service offered by the Financial Ombudsman Service are available at www.fi nancial-ombudsman.org.uk.
11. VANILLA GIFT CARD CUSTOMER SERVICES
If you would like to speak to Customer Services, you can call 09067 340075 Calls to Customer Services are charged at £1.00 per minute, you will need the permission of the bill payer before calling. We may record or monitor telephone calls in order to ensure security for our customers and our staff and to help maintain service quality. You can contact Customer Services in writing via email at
email@example.com or via mail to Vanilla Gift Card PO Box 3883, Swindon, SN3 9EA.
The Gift Card is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. No other compensation schemes exist to cover losses claimed in connection with the Gift Card. We will however safeguard your funds so that if we become insolvent the e-money issued by us is protected.
13. CARDHOLDER LIABILITY AND AUTHORISATIONS
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless us and our distributors, partners, agents, sponsors (including without limitation MasterCard International Incorporated), and service providers and their group companies for and against the costs of any legal action taken to enforce these Terms and Conditions and/or any breach of these Terms and Conditions or fraudulent use of your Gift Card. We will deduct any taxes or charges due from the balance on your Card. If there is no balance of funds on your Card, or taxes or charges exceed the balance of funds available, we shall send an invoice to you and will require you to refund us within 14 days of the invoice. Should you not repay this amount within 14 days of receiving an invoice from us we reserve the right to take all steps necessary, including legal action, to recover any monies outstanding. Neither us, MasterCard International Incorporated nor affiliates are responsible for the services or merchandise purchased with the Gift Card.
14. DISPUTED TRANSACTIONS
If you have reason to believe that any of the transactions for which your Gift Card was used are unauthorised or has been posted to your Gift Card in error, you may ask us to investigate the transaction by contacting Customer Services on 09067 340075 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If the disputed transaction is investigated and found to be incorrect the value of the transaction will be refunded to your Gift Card. Until our investigation is complete the disputed amount will be unavailable to spend. It may later be deducted from your Gift Card if we receive information that proves the transaction was genuine. In this event we will charge you a £10 administration fee. We reserve the right not to refund sums to you if we believe that you have not acted in accordance with this Agreement.
We may change the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement, including charges, fees and limits, at any time by posting an amended version on the Gift Card Website for one or more of the following reasons:
- To reflect the introduction or development of new systems, methods of operation, services or facilities;
- To reflect a change or an expected change in market conditions, general good practice or the cost of providing our services to our customers;
- To conform with or anticipate any changes in the law or taxation, any codes of practice or recommendations of the Financial Services Authority or other regulatory body;
- To ensure that our business is run prudently and remains competitive;
- To take account of a ruling by a court, ombudsman, regulator or similar body;
- To make the Terms and Conditions fairer or clearer for you;
- To rectify any mistake that might be discovered in due course;
- By agreement with you; or
- To enable us to harmonise our banking interest or charging arrangements.
16. TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION
We can terminate these Terms and Conditions at any time:
- if we give you 60 days’ notice and refund of the available balance on your Gift Card to you; or
- with immediate effect if you have breached these Terms and Conditions, or if we have reason to believe that you have used, or intend to use the Gift Card in a grossly negligent manner or for fraudulent or other unlawful purposes or if we can no longer process your transactions due to the actions of third parties.
- we discover that any information that you have provided to us when registering on www.myvanillagiftcard.com was incorrect; or
- a transaction has been declined because of a lack of Available Balance; or
- you have breached these Terms and Conditions or we have reason to believe that you have used, or intent to use the Gift Card in a grossly negligent manner or for fraudulent or other unlawful purposes of if we cannot process your transfers due to the actions of a third party.
In the event that we do suspend or cancel your Gift Card then if we are able to do so we will tell you in advance otherwise we will let you know immediately afterwards. We may advise any party involved in the transaction if a suspension has taken place.
You can terminate this agreement at any time following the Cancellation Period by contacting Customer Services. A redemption fee may apply, please see the “Redemption of your Gift Card” paragraph.
17. APPLICABLE LAW
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.